Wednesday, March 15, 2006

Foodstuff

We just had breakfast, the three of us. The offspring is in a lazy mood, and sat quietly sipping tea and eating cereal. She particularly likes Honey Ohs, at the moment. My wife and I had our normal breakfast of white chocolate chip waffles and sausage. I realized while making the waffles that I am more and more a creature of habit -- the white bowl with the pouring lip on one site, and the rubberized grip on the other, is in the dishwasher, and as I mentioned elsewhere the whisk is gone, broken. So I mixed up the batter in a plain mixing bowl, using a fork to stir it, and for just a moment I looked at them wondering how I was supposed to do this. Was it even possible to mix batter if not using the Batter Mixing Bowl? Its okay, I got over it.

In our family, I make breakfast most of the time, and we split who makes dinner about 75/25 (I'm the 25). Its odd, in a way, because I don't like getting up early, whereas my wife does, but she doesn't like making breakfast, and I do. Its probably the only meal meal that I can make, other than something like spaghetti. I don't get the concept of making dinner -- most meals don't sound good to me in a way that would motivate me to want to make them myself. Eat, sure -- all I have to do is think about the meatloaf that my wife makes, or the bean bake, or the honey chili, and I start to salivate. But even those somehow don't fall into the category of 'things I make', or perhaps 'things I feel comfortable making'. And I really don't understand people who can make multiple different dinners, who seem delighted at the meals that show up in, say, Real Simple. These are not lavish meals, but they're considerably more complex than I'd think of making. I'm not too sure I'd even think about eating them. I like to say that I don't eat things I haven't eaten before, and that's more true than not. I'm more a tomato soup and crackers kind of guy. I would like to know how to cook more, but if the concept of the food doesn't move me, I kind of doubt that I'll make the effort.

4 comments:

Sweeti said...

Hi Bill read your post and just thought to myself, Hmmmm, Bill should a least try one new recipe a week, just to broaden your tastes. Your missing out bud.
I wrote my post last night on trying new foods and I'm not presuming that your referring to this but you should try at least the dessert. Really it was good.
The Mr. has his set preferences too but felt like he was having a gourmet meal by the time I was done and really enjoyed it.
Of course we entertain a lot and I need variety to keep from burning out it the kitchen. I quite enjoy trying new recipes.

Cerulean Bill said...

You entertain a lot, and don't invite *us*? I'm miffed. Or is it Muffy, I keep forgetting.

Trying new desserts isn't the problem. Desserts carry a built-in 'eat me'. Its when I read of, oh, Chicken Marsala, or Beef Bourginon (I know, I spelled that wrong), or Salmon -- in fact, any kind of fish save tuna -- I think 'How can people eat that stuff? And like it? And want more of it?' I don't doubt that they do; I just don't understand why. Just once, I'd like to try something new (something that isn't a dessert) and say 'Hot Damn! Where have YOU been all my life?'

Rach said...

I made a chicken dish the other day and have to say, it's going to be made on a weekly basis until I tire of it. It's incredible! I can pass on the recipe if you like.

I happen to be the cook in our household and it gets old and fast too. I get stuck in a rut and finally turn to the easy stuff such as chicken nuggets, fish sticks or sometimes a bowl of noodles. It doesn't help with the kids are picky. :(

Anyway, wanted to say kudos to you for taking on some of the cooking. The waffles sound simply DELISH!

Cerulean Bill said...

I'd be delighted, Rach, but I have to admit that I have little to trade. The waffle recipe is extraordinarily simple -- Hungry Jack Buttermilk pancake mix, to which you add hot water, then after mixing, dump in a dollop of white chocolate chips (the regular ones are good, too, though they do tend to melt in the hot water), and hey presto, into the waffle iron for seven minutes on moderate high. Gee, that was tough.

We made a list of the things we tend to have most often -- which ones are fast, which ones are made on the weekend and reused during the week. There is some chicken in there -- most notably, chicken with pineapple (sliced breasts, chopped pineapple), and a sausage chicken cacciatore that I ask my wife to make -- I tell her I will wince when I hear she is making it, but I will like it when I actually see it. This kind of thing is why I think there is food for me out there.

And, oh yeah, we have chicken nuggets, too. (g)