Wednesday, March 29, 2006

Evening

I'm tired.

Its not late, but I'm tired. Fair number of energy-draining things occurred today. Found out this morning that I'm on call for this week. Its NBD, as the group gets very few calls, but still. And the group mailbox is full, but they don't know what they want to do, and none of them seem to have the technical ability to fix it (one of the problems the group has is a reflection of the corporate attitude toward initiative, coupled with a fair amount of paranoia about being second-guessed.)

I spent some time today with a network guy trying to find out why my app doesn't connect. He agreed that its a firewall thing. Or not. Thats about what I expected, but what I need is an answer. I really don't like having to rely on someone else to solve my problems.

I spend time redoing a project plan that the owner had asked me to review. Its for my project, but he's a manager who likes project plans, so he made one so that he could demonstrate to his manager that he was doing something. The plan didn't make sense to me -- it reflected his lack of understanding about the components. I ended up chucking it and writing a new one from scratch. I'm sure he'll be delighted (g) What I did was to sketch out a series of flow charts to break the process into pieces -- critical path and ancillary stuff. It made a lot more sense to me that the one he'd made in Microsoft Project, which may be a tour de force technically but I think is a kludge. Needs way more than it has. For one thing, it needs a visual interface -- something to take a text plan and translate it to a diagram, and back again. And a ten-thousand-foot overview vs a ten foot detail view would be nice, too. Given the investment that Microsoft has made in it thus far, I doubt anything like that is coming down the pike.

Read a bit of Intueri's blog. Wish I could write that elegantly - she has a cool, crisp style. And I watched some TV, which is a good indicator of my level of intellectual activity tonight. Amazingly, it seemed to perk me up.

Not much bright thinking going on here today. Sorry!

5 comments:

Tabor said...

Sounds like too much thinking between the earlier blog and this one. You need a cold beer and a sunset. Well, the weekend is coming up. That's an upper.

Cerulean Bill said...

Well, I'm not a beer drinker (though the thought has occurred to me on occasion: is it even possible to intellectually work yourself into being a beer drinker? Do the math, rate the variables, taste-test? Sounds like interesting drudgery...better not) but the sunset idea, I like a lot. And the weekend is usually an upper -- though this one, I'm getting up at 2AM on Sunday to be available for a system upgrade. That doesn't happen too often, fortunately! Maybe, if I can find a decent book to read, I'll crack it open... or maybe not. Sleep is good!

Anonymous said...

Woo--thanks for the link and the "cool, crisp" kudos. :)

Tabor said...

Beer is NOT an intellectual exercise, probably the opposite as I am sure you have seen from friends. My husband retires on Monday at 3:00 P.M. and he has been into his office for 8 to ten hours EVERY weekend this month. Sleep is still good, but I am more into the play on the weekend side of things.

Cerulean Bill said...

Oh, yeah, I certainly do know that. I was just musing over how one might ease into it if you don't participate in the 'beer ethos' -- ie, if you haven't had but two beers in, oh, 30 years. You'd want to start with the good stuff, but finding it might be a trick. I know that if I asked some friends, they'd be helpful -- suggesting Iron City and the like. When I lived out west, Coors was the beer of choice. I tried it once and could not for the life of me figure out why.

Congratulations on the impending retirement!