Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Wealth

Odd dream last night.

I was one of a group of people being trained for what appeared to be an administrative position with a wealthy family -- on the order of the House of Saudi, with all of the size and wealth that implies. Over time, I grew to realize that the more that I echoed and manifested the unthinking arrogance and lavish expectations of my employers, the more that I would personally benefit -- and the less I would be of the person that I used to be, with my old attitudes and expectations. And I did. I no longer thought it odd to see a freighter unloading twenty new Ferraris to replace those destroyed by the children of the family; I just made sure that I got one -- and not any one, but the one that was in the color that I liked.

Unsettling, how easily I got used to that degree of affluence.

4 comments:

Wendster said...

So what color did you get?

Interesting dream.

I love when I have dreams like that. And by "that" I mean: Dreams that make me think and take notice of my character traits.

Thanks for sharing. :)

Cerulean Bill said...

Well, to be honest, I don't know. My favorite color is blue, preferably dark blue...but a Ferrari that's other than fire engine red seems wrong, somehow.

Fortunately, a decision I'll never have to actually make.

STAG said...

Fortunately?

Cerulean Bill said...

Having to choose between red and blue -- a fiery, corruscatingly red versus a deep, mellow, yet vibrant blue -- too tough for me.