Thursday, February 11, 2010

Lidded

Early in my married life, I contemplated the question of whether it was important for me to ensure that the toilet seat was left in the down position.

I knew from the popular literature that this could be a big deal to some people, and I knew from the same source that things which were a big deal could simmer, bursting out with an angry virulence at unexpected moments. I didn't want that. On the other hand, I thought it was a trivial matter, not worth worrying about - unless it was. So I asked my still-relatively-new wife if it mattered to her, and she told me that it was convenient, but hardly worth obsessing over. And that's how my daughter's grown up, too.

But since we have a cat again, and we don't want her drinking from the john, I find myself making sure that the lid's down, all the time. Plus ca change.....

No comments: