Saturday, February 27, 2010

AAAh

Thirty four years ago, I got a AAA membership. Over the years, I used it multiple times, almost always for travel information. Four or five times for assistance. Last time was around 12 years ago.

Over the last five years, every time the bill came, I thought This is getting more expensive every year. I wish we had a reasonably priced alternative. I mentioned this to my wife, who pointed out that when my daughter starts to drive, we're going to want her to have coverage, too. We're not sure if AAA even offers a family plan, but given that they insist on billing me and my wife for separate memberships, at forty-seven bucks a pop each, we thought, probably not.

Then it occured to me that our insurance agency, USAA, offers discounts on some services and goods. Wonder if they offer a discount on AAA? So I wrote, and asked. And this is what they said.

"Our records indicate that you currently carry Towing & Labor/Roadside Assistance coverage for your (two vehicles). Towing and Labor will pay the reasonable costs incurred for any of the following each time the covered auto is disabled:

* Mechanical labor up to one hour at the place of breakdown
* Towing to the nearest place where necessary repairs can be made during regular business hours, if the vehicle will not run or is stranded on or immediately next to a public road.
* Delivery of gas, oil, a battery, or a change of tire. However, we do not pay for the cost of these items.
* Expenses associated with lost/lockout key services, subject to policy limits. There is no coverage for ignition and lock recoding in instances involving lost or stolen car keys.
* Non owned vehicles operated by you when at least one vehicle on the policy carries Towing & Labor coverage, and the vehicle is a covered vehicle type for Towing & Labor.
* A trailer when being towed by a covered vehicle. This coverage applies in locations where coverage is afforded on miscellaneous vehicles.

If you require additional assistance, you may contact our Roadside Assistance department directly by calling 1-800-531-8555 24/7
We value your business and the opportunity to serve all your financial needs."


I know, what USAA thinks are 'reasonable costs' and what the local garages think might vary. Still, it's almost a hundred bucks, every year, for something that I'm unlikely to need, and only use rarely. Not too difficult to figure out.

My renewal for AAA was sitting, waiting to be mailed. I don't think I will.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

You know as soon as you don't renew that is when you need it. It has happened to my mom twice now. Both times she didn't renew. I'm convinced AAA is watching us. hah.

Cerulean Bill said...

That could well be their business plan. Certainly the current one, selling maps, roadside assistance, and travel arrangements, was overtaken by the web quite some time ago.