Thursday, February 25, 2010

Politics

I don't trust professional politicians, as a rule. Some, I do, though I have the sneaking suspicion that if I knew what they were really like, I wouldn't. Some, I flat don't. I hear them talk and I stop listening, because I just can't bring myself to trust them. I was just watching part of the bipartisan debate on health care, and I saw reasons why not to trust them. I saw more of it on the Republican side than the Democratic, but I have to admit, I saw some on the Democratic side, too.

Every so often, a Republican would say something and I would think wait a minute, that actually makes sense. I wouldn't want to give them that, because I really do think that the current Republican party is the Party of No, and I don't want to give them an inch, not a solitary inch. But sometimes, I'd think, they made a point that sounded right. Sometimes of their own, and sometimes when they were attacking a Democratic point.

As soon as they started referring to one another as 'my colleague' and 'my friends on the other side', I stopped listening, because to me that's pol-speak for 'warning, bullshit ahead'. Ditto for 'The American people said clearly....' But then, like a perversion, I'd go back and listen some more.

The whole thing sickens me. Its as if there is no way to improve things, because they - and we - can't even agree about what 'improvement' means, or what needs it. Let alone how. You feel like, no matter what happens, we're going to get screwed.

2 comments:

Tabor said...

The thing that irritated the h**l out of me was when they said 'under this administration...' as IF anything had happened other than that SHOCK and AWE crap administration(pardon moi) which is a pseudonym for DEATH and Destruction... as a prelude to why they were having an issue with this bill. I watched as much as I could before I felt I had to go vomit. These are not statesmen...just good ole boys getting ready for the next election, god help us. Whew, now I feel so much better. Thanks.

Cerulean Bill said...

Hey, anytime. As for me, I was thinking that if I drank, I'd have starting a drinking game -- one for each time they said 'my friends across the aisle' or 'the american people have spoken/want this' or any of the other phrases that imply collegiality or omniscience. The first and most important thing to anybody in that room is What Will This Do To My Re-Election Chances. Followed closely by What Will This Do To My Chances of Getting Funding From Lobbyists. And, somewhere in there, a thought that Yeah, it would be nice to do something for the little folks....maybe next year.