Saturday, April 14, 2007

Superman Redux

Tonight we rented and watched Superman Returns. And despite not watching it on a wide screen LCD display with Bose surround sound, it was pretty good -- in many ways, superior to the Christopher Reeves ones . The acting, for the most part, was better than expected, particularly Kevin Spacey as Lex Luthor -- I like a bright, non-caricatured evil person -- and from others, including Lois Lanes long-term boyfriend, who, I think, in earlier movies would have been played as a lightweight, but in this movie was a character with intelligence and forcefulness. Lois herself -- well, Margot Kidder hasn't got much to worry about. The special effects were excellent, and though the plot was a little bit thin at times, it really wasn't bad at all.

I'm glad we rented it.

2 comments:

Narie said...

This was interesting. I was about to comment on how I like most things Kevin Spacey appears in, especially since he is in one of my all time favorite movies "The Usual Suspects".
I decided to look up the movie on IMDB and come to find out, the producer/director of another set of movies high on my list (X-Men and X-men 2) also produced "The Usual Suspects". Looking further, he also is the producer of the new Superman movies.

I normally wouldn't rent the Superman movies, I've always been more of a Batman and Spiderman fan. Superman was too clean and pure for me I think. I might have to give it a try now though.

And if you haven't seen "The Usual Suspects", you really should. Fantastic movie.

Cerulean Bill said...

I liked X Men. Have to admit, the two strong points for me were Halle Berry and that wonderful house, with what was, effectively, an upgraded Batcave.

The Superman ethos is interesting. I am not a comics fan, but every so often I hear of a plot -- imagine that, a plot: when I was a kid, the plot was secondary, if there at all -- that grabs my attention. I heard of the Crisis on Infinite Earths at least a decade after it was popular, but it sounded good. I was amazed when Lex Luthor got elected president, and when Supergirl started hanging out with him; to me, they were trying hard to make the comics believable -- even if your first reaction was 'I cannot BELIEVE that!' -- because you never said that in the old series. Heck, it was a revelation when someone pointed out that Superman's outfit just HAD to be visible through that white shirt -- that never occured to me.

Prior to this, I could not have picked Kevin Spacey out of a crowd. Now, of course, I know to look for the bald guy -- or is that Professor Xavier?