Friday, April 20, 2007

Response

I got this back from one of our state's senators. Though it is apparently a form letter, I thought it was well done.

Thank you for contacting my office regarding the ongoing situation in Iraq . I appreciate your taking the time to bring your views on this important matter to my attention.

I believe that had we known Saddam Hussein did not have weapons of mass destruction, the Congress would not have authorized the invasion of Iraq . Nonetheless, now that we are there, I feel we should give the Iraqis an opportunity to solidify a democratic government and do our best to establish the capabilities of Iraq 's army and police forces to provide adequate security. However, continuing violence and instability have made it apparent that Iraq is in a state of civil war and that the policies of the U.S. and Iraqi governments to date have been ineffective.

As a member of Congress, I have expressed my belief that a shift in policy is overdue and expressed openness to considering any and all suggestions for a change in course. I have urged the Administration to work with the Iraqi government and Iraq 's neighbors, including Iran and Syria , to develop cooperative stabilization efforts. To that end, I have personally met with Syrian President Bashar al-Assad and Iran 's Ambassador to the United Nations in an attempt to help facilitate such an effort. I have also expressed support for the Iraq Study Group, an independent, bipartisan commission led by former Secretary of State James Baker and former Congressman Lee Hamilton which has echoed my call for a new and enhanced diplomatic effort to help stem the violence in Iraq .

On February 27, 2007, Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice announced that the U.S. would participate in an international conference organized by the Iraqi government to address regional peace and security and that the governments of Iran and Syria would also take part. I believe participation in these meetings by the U.S. , Iranian, and Syrian governments could represent a positive step towards easing tensions in Iraq .

On January 10, 2007, President Bush outlined a new strategy for Iraq , to include the deployment of more than 20,000 U.S. troops in support of increased numbers of Iraqi security personnel. I believe there is unanimity that no action be taken by Congress to exercise our "power of the purse" to cutoff funds that would in any way endanger our troops. However, on this state of the record, it remains unclear what a surge in U.S. troops in Iraq will accomplish. The Iraqi government's failure to live up to previous commitments have left me skeptical that such a plan will produce stability in Iraq .

On the issue of troop withdrawal, it is my opinion that the Iraqi government should be put on notice that U.S. forces will not remain in Iraq forever. I believe that our presence, with no indication of departure, has spurred continued violence and has allowed the Iraqis to rely too heavily on the U.S. for security. Nonetheless, at this time I do not support a definitive timeline for withdrawal, as I believe Congress can not micromanage the war and that a timeline would enable the enemy to win by waiting us out. I want to give the diplomatic initiatives with Iran and Syria an opportunity to stabilize the situation.

Although I question the impact of a surge in U.S. troops, I am cognizant of the consequences of a premature departure. The Iraq Study Group concluded that "Because of the importance of Iraq, the potential for catastrophe, and the role and commitments of the United States in initiating events that have led to the current situation, we believe it would be wrong for the United States to abandon the country through a precipitate withdrawal of troops and support." U.S. forces should not remain in Iraq any longer than necessary. Iraqi government forces will ultimately be responsible for securing their country. As ever increasing numbers of Iraqi security forces are trained and able to conduct operations on their own, U.S. forces should gradually redeploy.

Thank you again for contacting me. The concerns of my constituents are of great importance to me, and I rely on you and other Pennsylvanians to inform me of your views. Should you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to contact my office or visit my website at http://specter.senate.gov.

Life's a lot easier in the bleachers.....

No comments: