Thursday, April 13, 2006

Slow Day

That phrase usually implies a slow, languorous day -- walking along the beach; sitting in a chair reading a good book; scuffing along a country road to the sound of chirping birds or night time crickets. Today, it means rather less. Each of us is in a bit of a slump. My daughter caught her finger in a door, and this afternoon has a sort of test for which she's not ready. My wife is working on a massive project and just found that a previously unknown part of it failed and must be redone. And I am unhappy about the design of a web site that I use to re-order prescription drugs, as well as some other things. None of these is debilitating, but somehow they fed each other this morning, so that none of us is particularly cheerful.

I did come across an excellent book while at the local college book fair, though. It's Jeffrey Archer: The Collected Short Stories. Archer is apparently a British author -- the four that I've read thus far are set in England -- and each one is well written, with elegant phrasings and a satisfying or surprising twist at the conclusion. They're light fare, which is also good, as I'm not in the mood for lugubrious stuff.

In a bit, my wife and I will go out for a slow walk -- she needs to calm down about the uncertainties of her project, and I need to get moving, period.

Slow day, slow walk. Seems to fit.

No comments: