Sunday, April 02, 2006

CMC

I shall now tell you one of the sexiest phrases I know. You may wish to shield the eyes of young children and the easily impressionable. Ready? Here it is:

Custom. Made. Cabinetry.

Now I know, I know, that 'custom made' doesn't mean 'good quality'. If I were to whip out the Skilsaw and had a forest to work with I could probably create cabinetry that's suitable for use -- as kindling. And I know that it doesn't mean 'attractive', either. Some of the glossy pieces that I've seen for sale are elegantly made -- and ugly. And I know that it's possible to go too far -- I've seen kitchens with more cabinetry than counterspace. It was beautiful, but functional? No. Not what I have in mind.

Here is an example of what I have in mind:



And here's another:


Aren't they gorgeous? If there was one thing I could learn to do which I totally cannot do now -- and I know this is a gross simplification -- I would learn to create fine cabinetry. There is an elegance and sophistication, a blending of form and function, that is almost a sensual pleasure. It captivates me.

4 comments:

Rach said...

I'll take one of each please .. in the darker wood. I so need that drawer space, although I'm not so sure about see through doors. eek! That would mean I'd have to keep things orderly. That's just a sin! LOL

Cerulean Bill said...

Ah, but that's why they make tinted glass, Rach. Or even stained glass....

Sweeti said...

I think that is the sexiest phrase I know too! Yummm those are nice.

Cerulean Bill said...

Give me about thirty years and a Skilsaw, S, and I'll see what I can do....(g)