Sunday, April 16, 2006

Max Story

They tell you that you should back up your data, religiously. Okay, thats a church we attend -- somewhat. Our desktop PC has a backup package that runs to an off site location, but my work laptop does not (my employer, the Biggest Little Software Company in the World, doesn't feel thats a priority), nor does our home laptop. So I went out and bought a Maxtor One Touch II, which several reviews spoke glowingly about. I got the 300GB version, which I figured would be enough and then some for my work laptop (40GB) and the home laptop (20GB). Heck, we might even work in the home desktop (20GB) too, and save some money -- though at the price of the Maxtor, it'd be a while till the costs equalized. But heck, this was a Good Thing.

But then the fun began.

I do software. But even I know that the hard drive is not supposed to intermittently make grinding sounds. And anyone would know that the software wasn't supposed to make the WinXP desktop hang. (Can I prove it? Well, no. It just started after I put the backup software on there and stopped after I took it off. ) And while I was at it, the elegantly designed easy to use interface, much improved over the One Touch I? Wow, that first version must have been quite the kludge, to say that the One Touch II was much improved.

So the box is on its way back to Amazon, which will, I hope, swiftly return the funds to my account.

Will I get another? Probably. . But not Maxtor, I think.

No comments: