Saturday, April 29, 2006

Hammerin' and Drillin' and Blastin', Oh My!

I am not a handy guy. The 'handy' gene that my father's generation had completely passed me by. Oh, I can do minor things -- I'm dandy with a picture hanging so long as its a light picture -- but for anything else, I've learned to involve my wife. She has a better eye, plus, she's willing to stop and think about things where I want to just rush right in and start whamming and slamming.

So it is with some sense of delight that I announce that all three of us participated in the erection of two book shelves over my daughter's desk -- I drew the marks on the wall showing where the top screw on each of the supports would be, my wife checked that the two marks were in fact level (and reminded me to level the support when putting in the bottom screws); my daughter helped screw in the molly bolts and then attach those screws to the supports, and she and I together put the hangers on, tapping them into place with a hammer, and then put the shelves on them. She made my heart go pit a pat once time when she said that the top bolt on the right was actually coming out of the wall, but I screwed it in really tight (trying not to think of the time that I did that and the whole damn collapsed thing pulled out of the wall), and it held snugly.

It is now arranged as she likes it, with some of her many teddy bears on the top shelf, and various non volatile pieces of desk paraphernalia (including two boxes of Don't Touch Them They're Mine Thin Mint Cookies) are on the bottom shelf. Her desk is clear, clean, and neat. For the nonce, anyway.

2 comments:

Rach said...

Woohoo .. good for you! At times, the more hands to help makes the work load lighter, and it seems to have worked for you three.

Your daughter's hoarding cookies? tsk tsk ;).

Cerulean Bill said...

She gets that from me. Two of my stash were sold to others, but I still have two...at least, last time I looked, I did.