Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Military

My daughter is contemplating entering the military after high school.

At first, she wanted to go to the Air Force Academy, but determined that her grades, though good, were not good enough. Now she's thinking about looking at colleges with a decent ROTC program. She said that she didn't want to go into the Army, or the Navy, but today, when I told her that she'd gotten a call from a local Navy recruiter, she returned the call, and ended up going over to spend about an hour talking to him. As part of that, she took a preliminary qualifying test. Passing is 50. Max is 100. She got a 94, and therefore got the recruiters sudden attention. He said things to her like You would have to take a three hour examination, but if you pass that, you could qualify for some of our most difficult programs. Like what? she asked. Like working with our nuclear program. Very challenging. Initial signing bonus of $15,000 for a five to six year committment; reenlistment bonuses above $50,000.

He got her attention.

We tossed some cold water on it -- talk with colleges first, life as an officer tends to be better than life as an enlisted person, recruiters lie,possible future bonuses can vanish, trust nothing that isn't on paper with your name attached, know what you're getting into, don't rush into anything, keep your options open. You've got plenty of time.

I hadn't planned for her to begin her independent life quite so soon. I had thought college, first couple of years living at home while she gets basic credits, then perhaps moving away....and ROTC, or OTS.... Enlisted? Yeah, thats okay, I guess - it's what I did, later becoming an officer, and that turned out okay - but for MY daughter? Well... maybe not. She's smarter than I was, then. She can do better. Still, didn't we always say she should live her own life?

This is coming at me a little fast. I want her to slow down for her.... but also for me.

3 comments:

STAG said...

The recruiter lied to me!

Cannot believe how many times I heard that. More to the point, the recruiter will not say anything that is an outright lie, but she may well put a spin on it to make it sound good.

Fact is she is there to serve her country FIRST (which means going anywhere they want to shove her). Education, travel, experience, those are nice perks, but are NOT the reason they want her.

They don't want her for the purpose of educating her. They want her to use her. If they have to educate her to get the chance to use her, well, so be it. Lots of people have and been the better for it. Lots of people have and not been the better for it. I happen to believe that the ones who have been better for it outnumber the ones who are not. YMMD.

(Just spent a couple of weeks in Cyprus trying to bring PTSD troopies back into the world. I recommend doing that first before deciding one way or the other. You are fairly close to Bethesda arn't you? Perhaps bring her into your local legion. Get some first hand answers to the questions she has not even thought to ask!)

YOU are her dad. You know what personalities thrive in the military environment. And which ones fail.

genderist said...

I'm so glad that right now I'm worried about diaper rash. As terrible as it is, I'm drinking all of these moments in short sips. I'm not ready to think about college and major life moves yet.

But I love that you share yours and I get to vicariously imagine her future while still focusing on diaper rash cream...

Cerulean Bill said...

I agree insofar as this is not a deal where she gets to pick what she wants to do, and the military has to oblige her. I actually think we ought to have compulsory military service, period...but I admit, I would feel differently if it meant my daughter could end up in a shooting war.

I think fondly of the diaper rash days. I don't regret anything about her life thus far; though it has rocketed by in classic fashion, she has been and continues to be a joy and a delight. I imagine yours is and will be, too.