Friday, July 29, 2011

College Visit

First college visit completed. A long ways away -- five hours, each way; next week, one that's eight hours each way. (Groan!)

But the college -- Kent State, Ohio -- was awesome. I know, it's tradition to grumble when I went to college, we didn't have any of this fancy.... but O.M.G. They had amazing stuff. Of course, in a sense, it didn't matter, as the things that amazed me had very little to do with the business of education -- the gym (pools, tracks, huge workout centers, all of that), the student center (events every week, on campus and off, freebies littering the landscape) , the twenty-six (yes, really) different places to eat on campus, the student dorm rooms -- but still. O. M. G.

Told my wife Tell the kid, she's enlisting. I'm taking that school money and going myself!

5 comments:

genderist said...

Awesome! What are you going to study?

Cerulean Bill said...

Eating. Twenty six places to eat, fifty two weeks in a year. Coincidence? I think not.

Unknown said...

I was impressed when technical college I (was forced to) attend(ed) installed pinball machines... "Pinball wizard, etc..." :-)

I might also mention that I wasted a lot of time, erm, spent a lot of time on those machines. :-)

Unknown said...

Oops. I missed the missing "the". :-)

Cerulean Bill said...

Ah, yes, pinball. Primitive devices for the study of ballistics. Fascinating.

The school did not have holographic amusatoria, but if they had, I would not have been all that surprised.

Then again, the tour group oohed and aahed at the news that they were hooking their student washers to the net so as to page you when the wash was done. I thought Didn't I read about that sort of thing, five or six years ago? They're just doing it now? It's a space race.