Thursday, December 03, 2009

Today, I Bake, And Other Stuff

And bake, and bake. The plan is to make four kinds that I've never made before. I don't know what they'll be. I picked up a copy of the Joy of Cooking's Cookie book while at the libe yesterday. I certainly don't intend to buy any more info on Christmas cookies -- I have two magazines full of them that I've had, and been slowly going through, for the last two years, and, of course, there's always the web -- but as it was sitting right there, I picked it up. I'm hoping that I can mix them up and bake while I am reading about algebra, functions, and linear equations (studying for my session with the ment0). Doesn't that sound like fun?

Also today, I will be doing the bike (thank you, Tivo, for making it possible and easy), and I'm going to try to take a drive out to where the Homeless Santa deal will be in about two weeks, just so on the appointed day I'm not the famed Wandering Santa. Mommy, why is Santa using those bad words? Obviously, if I don't make it today, I still have plenty of time. I also have to go to the hardware store to return one of the timers I bought yesterday -- damn thing does not have a grounding plug socket, which makes it tough to use with an extension cord. Speaking of electrical stuff, I need to change a light bulb in the kitchen. (Will it ever be possible to have the illumination source at ground level and a fiber-optic feed up to the actual fixture? That'd be nice. ) And I promised to change the sheets on our bed. Actually, I had promised to do that yesterday, but events intervened; most notably, going to the dentist.

About which: when a dentist is working on your jaw, unscrewing seven of the eight 'healing caps' on the implants, and he cannot get the eighth one off -- to the point that I told him if he works on it again, I want Novocaine in that area -- and then he says 'okay, we're going to have a custom tray made for you to take the impression', it doesn't sound like good news. (Why can't they do this digitally? I don't think it'd be easy but this plastic-tray-full-of-gunk seems pretty old school to me. ) Then again, there have been enough bumps in that road that I expected something would pop up. I did give them the check yesterday. I tried not to look at the amount as I gave it to them. I was apprehensive that they'd make a little joke when they got it -- oh, look, we got our Christmas shopping bonus! -- but they didn't. I wonder if others have the same dammit I really don't want to be giving you this much money attitude.

So, anyway, that's the plan. We'll see how it actually works out.

2 comments:

genderist said...

You strike me as someone who would really enjoy the "12 cookies of Christmas" thing where you make a new cookie each day. You'd be a baking fool before it was done. :)

Cerulean Bill said...

True dat, as they say. And heck, I have the 'fool' part down already!