Saturday, December 19, 2009

Drama

Our friends have a daughter whom they've referred to as a 'drama queen'. We've known them for years -- we met when our daughters were in preschool together -- and I've always thought of the girl as very quiet and reserved. Almost unemotional. The idea of her getting red in the facing and screaming seemed totally incongruous. Her only quirk is, she really likes order. Nothing wrong with that.

This afternoon, she came by to ask a math question of my wife, and ended up staying to do the rest of her math homework, just in case she had questions. She worked on that for longer than my daughter works on all of her homework, and for the entire time she was silent and totally focused. She looked up when I came in, and I'm not entirely sure she saw me. I thought: I can see her just freaking right out, letting that iron control drop because something's not right, not as it should be. Yes, I can see it.

Incidentally, this is the girl who's got an A average, two years running. I am trying not to draw comparisons.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Ah yes, its moments like that when you realize that the end product sometimes is not worth the process haha.

Cerulean Bill said...

Well... which wouod you rather be, very successful or very happy?

I know: a fair degree of both. That's what we want for her, too.