Sunday, December 06, 2009

Snowy Sunday

My wife thinks this is going to be a snowy winter. For one thing, we've had an awful lot of rain. For another, we saw a caterpillar with a thick honkin' coat. And, of course, it snowed yesterday. My daughter was delighted. As for me? Well, I do like looking out over the farmer's fields, seeing them all covered in snow, and it's kind of nice to see the Christmas lights peeking through the snow on the bushes, but, there's this, too: remembering last year, when we were leaving for church, I backed down the driveway verrryyy slowly. And walked carefully, too. I'd really like to get to April or so without breaking anything.

An article in today's Washington Post says that in the latest of the Disney princess movies, there's a twist. It's not that the princess is black -- it's that the marriage that she enters into is not the happiest day of her life, the day she's been waiting for, all of that. It's very nice, wonderful. But then she enters into an actual life with this new husband, building it together, making it work. And for Disney, that's pretty amazing.

As were the walnuts we put into the waffles, this morning, along with the white chocolate chips. Yum!

5 comments:

Tabor said...

An article in Newsweek did a whole piece on the fact that the marriage is supposed to be interracial. I did not catch that from the ads...but times are a changing.

Cerulean Bill said...

I would suspect that they wanted to be subtly upfront about it -- enough so that people would think nicely of them who are predisposed to like or be neutral to that idea, but not so much that people opposed to it would feel it necessary to voice their hostility.

I still have a problem with interracial marrige, but I try to ignore those qualms, which, I think, come from my childhood's assumptions. Saying something isn't right because it doesn't feel right -- well, I'd like to think I can do better than that - and if I can't, perhaps I ought to reexamime my assumptions. Some is minor irritation that the black guys get many of the hot looking chicks. Then I have to remind myself that a) even if they didn't would not have meant a better shot for me, and b) I did get a hot looking chick. Even if she doesn't believe me, sometimes.

I kind of like the idea of everyone being a Café au Lait color, though.

Vajra said...

I love walnuts but I'm terribly allergic to them. Makes lots of delicious foods unavailable. :(

Cerulean Bill said...

That is just totally unfair. I think you should get a dispensation to have extra servings of something you like and aren't allergic to. Something like a carbon offset, only for walnuts.

Vajra said...

I substitute pecans for walnuts. But somethings (e.g. brownies) are just better with walnuts. sigh.