Monday, December 14, 2009

Explanations

My daughter was just in the kitchen as I was eating a piece of pizza. I wasn't hungry, but I needed comfort food. I asked her if she had reviewed science notes, or whether I ought not to ask about that, and she said that she had, adding that she had also done something with something about something else. Sorry, I said, I totally don't understand what you just said. My elan vital is at a low ebb, and right now it's just barely ticking over. What that, she asked.

It's not that anything's wrong, per se; just an accumulation of things. Any day that includes standing in the mud at a cemetery, you have to figure is going to be a bit of a downer. Didn't help that we agreed to meet at the cemetery at 1PM, and at 12:10, just after I'd ordered a crepe at a mall restaurant (whatever happened to the Magic Pan chain? I really liked them. TCBY, too, come to think of it ), they called and said Hey, we're at the cemetery, where are you?

The lawyer's being an idiot. 'Nuff said.

One family said that they don't want me to come to their house as Santa because, upon reflection, they think the kid might be freaked out by the idea. Okay, fine, she's about five, it's clearly their call. But I was looking forward to that.

I've still got that damn dentist nonsense on Thursday, and I'm worried about that. Still apprehensive about the Homeless Santa thing on Friday, too.

How drained am I? We got one life insurance payout of two thousand dollars yesterday, and we're expecting a two thousand dollar 'bonus' from my wife's company (not so much a bonus as handing back money they'd decided to withhold), and it didn't cheer me up at all. I'm still kind of just limping along, reacting to most things with a huh?

There was a book, couple of years ago, titled If Love Was Oil, I'd Be About A Quart Low. Right now, that's the ol' elan vital.

2 comments:

Tabor said...

Sorry, does sound a bit rough out your way. It will all work out, just give it some time. Think only good thoughts for the next two, no three, days, like how lovely your daughter is.

Cerulean Bill said...

She's a keeper, no doubt about it. I think it was the cemetery that did me in. Justaposing that with going to the mall -- a lavish one, at that -- was likely a mistake.