Saturday, December 05, 2009

Santastic

One Santa down, two to go.

It wasn't bad. Less kids than the last time I did it, probably a result of there being less employees than the last time. Lots of cute kids. If a girl had bows or decorations in her hair, I asked if she thought I'd look good with one. Most of the kids were believers, a few were wildly enthusiastic, and a couple totally didn't want to be there. I did not call anyone by the wrong gender reference, though I came close with one kid. Fortunately, 'ma'am' sounds a lot like 'man'.

Nobody wanted a rock or some cheese as their Christmas gift, even though I asked, multiple times. One girl, when I asked her what she wanted for Christmas, said, quite seriously "I'm going to have to give this some more thought." I congratulated one boy for how well he'd written his crayoned list; I told him I would put it in a special place, and thereupon put it into my hat. He said "Like Abraham Lincoln!" I congratulated him for that, to0. One girl wanted 'everything'. One girl was very solemn, as if she wasn't used to being teased.

I learned that Moxie Girls are popular, as are PS3s and XBoxes. Wii's, too.

The people running it were as dysfunctional as ever. The pictures of me and the kids were pretty good, but they took one of me by myself, though, when I didn't know they were doing it. It looks like Sad Santa. Or Bad Santa. Or something. Definitely not someone I'd trust my child to. The one I show here came from one of the parents. That's my real beard, incidentally. Dyed white, but real. And stiff as all hell - that temporary hair dye has hair spray in it!

Overall, not bad.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Cool to see you in your Santa get-up. I'm sure you made many children pretty happy.

Cerulean Bill said...

I hope so. Most were easy to please, and responded well to teasing. A couple laughed out loud, which I always like. And I remembered to ask the taller ones if they'd rather stand - even the ones who don't want to be there seem a little more willing if they get that choice.

Still bummed that no one wanted a rock, though.