Saturday, December 19, 2009

Bowl Me Over

When I was last at the hospital, I saw a man using a walker, and his wife. The man had an interesting face -- the best I can say it that it had the shape of a peanut -- but what fascinated me was his hat, which was a genuine bowler. I'd never seen anyone wearing one outside of the movies. I told him that I really liked it, and he smiled broadly and took it off so that I could see the red silk lining and the name of a London hatmaker. "He likes yours, too", his wife said. "He used to have one like that, but he lost it." I said I'd offer to trade, but I thought he'd lose out on the deal.

I understand that men generally stopped wearing formal hats when Kennedy didn't wear one, and I regret that. Hats, formal hats, are good stuff.When I worked at EDS, for a while I wore a fedora when it was cold. Everyone teased me about it -- even my wife said I looked like Gorbachov -- and so I stopped wearing one. Thus ended my period as a fashionista.

Wish I had one of those bowlers, though, even I have no reason to wear one. Even if, with the address of that maker, I likely couldn't afford one.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I've always liked fancy hats, my grandfather had a nice collection. I think they look sophisticated :-)

Cerulean Bill said...

Yes, I agree. I might just look into something that doesn't require a suit to look decent, but is much better than the knit cap I usually wear. I do like the Greek Fisherman's Cap that my wife and daughter gave me -- in fact, it's the one that I was wearing when I saw the guy.

I wonder how you wrap a turban?