Tuesday, April 02, 2013

This is why...

...I couldn't be a criminal lawyer.

A man is sentenced to death for the death of an infant which occured while he was molesting her.  He admits that he intended to molest her, but says that he was too drunk to realize that he was killing her.  The law says that you must know your actions can result in death.

So his lawyer is entering a plea for mercy.  Didn't mean to do it, he says. Plus, the only charge given was murder, not sexual assault, so he was, in a sense, framed.  Don't kill him.

Must be tough to go to law school, read about all these important cases, envision yourself as a defender of justice - and then end up defending someone like that.  I know - everyone deserves a defense. But really - everyone?

 And this is why I could not be a criminal lawyer. 

4 comments:

Tabor said...

I am a big fan of the TV Show the Good Wife as they always mix in the gray and despicable actions of the attorneys as they muddle through their careers.

Cerulean Bill said...

I like that show as well. I don't watch it very often, but when I do, I'm surprised by how good it can be.

Vajra said...

Yes. Everyone deserves a defense. Even the worst among us deserve to be prosecuted in a system where the State is held to the highest standards of fairness and ethics.

Cerulean Bill said...

I want to believe that. I mock the people who say 'we're going to give him a fair trial and then execute him.' But there are people, such as that guy in Cleveland....

Perhaps I'm not as liberal as I tend to think.