Saturday, April 06, 2013

Thinking

Ever have a morning when it's just too much trouble to think?  That's kind of where I am right now.  I just cancelled a French conversation because - today - it was just too hard to think in French.  I suppose I could have muddled through, but it would not have been very much fun for either of us.

My mindfog is due to the aftereffects of driving down - again - to Virginia to pick up my daughter so that she could attend a funeral - again - of a classmate from school.  No kidding, I'm telling her that if anyone else dies, send a card.

I see where they're thinking of freeing the Enron CEO early. Many many expensive lawyer hours undoubtedly went into that. I suppose the odds of us just, you know, shooting people who have that kind of devastating effect on the economy  -  well, they're pretty slim.  We only shoot the helpless - and who really cares about them, right? Have I mentioned the gutless cowards of the Congress lately?

Tried to install an extension called Thunderbayes into my Thunderbird email client.  Thunderbird is made by Mozilla, which also makes the Firefox web browser.   Thunderbayes wouldn't install because it wasn't compatible with Firefox.  Guess Microsoft isn't the only software pusher that likes to tie things together- and if it means you can't use something that ought to work - well, tough.

I cannot wrap my head around the comments of the Georgia GOP Chairman:

“Lord, I’m going to get in trouble over this, but it is not natural for two women or two men to be married,” Everhart said. “If it was natural, they would have the equipment to have a sexual relationship.”
Everhart said while she respects all people, if same sex marriage is legalized across the country, there will be fraud.
“You may be as straight as an arrow, and you may have a friend that is as straight as an arrow,” Everhart said. “Say you had a great job with the government where you had this wonderful health plan. I mean, what would prohibit you from saying that you’re gay, and y’all get married and still live as separate, but you get all the benefits? I just see so much abuse in this it’s unreal. I believe a husband and a wife should be a man and a woman, the benefits should be for a man and a woman. There is no way that this is about equality. To me, it’s all about a free ride.”

Being a liberal Democrat, I tried to break that into things that only an idiot would believe and things that a rational person would believe. And I almost can do it, until I hit that I believe a husband... comment.  You can follow it up with There is no way that this ... comments all you want - that's exactly what its about.  So I ask myself: what kind of mind, what kind of worldview, harbors that attitude?  Well, DUH -- the GOP, of course, and Southern GOP, double - DUH.  Why even ask?

But maybe its just that I'm not thinking very clearly today.

3 comments:

Tabor said...

Of course men and women never marry except for love....!

Cerulean Bill said...

Certainly, nobody that I know!

yellowdoggranny said...

and if people only marry to procreate then old people past 50 should not be allowed to marry..and if it was so fecking sacred, why are their divorces?..sigh*