Saturday, April 27, 2013

Architecture

I've been reading Michael Pollan's A Place of My Own, and I must say that although it's frequently more wordy than I like, it makes some interesting points about how houses work, what makes one better than the other - not just more functional, but more inviting, more prone to faciliate the human needs that we frequently aren't even aware exist.  For example, he quotes A Pattern Language, saying that a room with a window and a comfortable chair somewhere in the room will feel a certain tension, because you want to both be near the light and be in the comfortable chair.  Personally, I think that's a bit too sensitive, but I can see it.  But when he talks about Pattern Language's take on thick walls, that should not only provide for the necessities -- built-in bookshelves, for example, and insulation, but also provide a sense of protection and refuge -- I can really see it.  I think maybe that book's got something, there.

3 comments:

Vajra said...

In New Mexico adobe construction functions as pattern language. Nichos. Bancos. Vigas. Beautiful. Once the home of the Spanish and Pueblo people; now only the rich can afford it...unless you build it yourself.

Cerulean Bill said...

If I built it myself it would look remarkably like a clay igloo....

Vajra said...

Straw bale construction is quite forgiving...