Tuesday, September 21, 2010

USB

I wish to request that the basic design of USB drives, aka thumb drives, aka USB keys, be reconsidered.

For the last two weeks, I have been jacking in and pulling out the USB connector for my Rosetta Stone - supplied headset. It's not the most robustly constructed headset, but it's not bad. And I've noticed that over that time, the jack on the headset has begun to bend, as the laptop gets moved around. Eventually, I think, it's going to bend enough to snap the connector -- if not right off, then at least enough so that the connection isn't made.

Puff goes the headset.

Clearly, what's needed is a shock-absorbing torsion-tolerant plug. One that could break its connector without losing functionality - perhaps a replaceable snap on/off plug terminator?

At, of course, a reasonable price.

Take care of that, would you?

No comments: