Saturday, September 18, 2010

Gym Tunes

I prefer to listen to something with a relatively fast beat, when I'm in the gym. Problem is, most of our CDs are slow, quiet pieces. Not a lot of motivation to do the elliptical at all, let alone fast, when you're listening to a Mozart sonata. At least, when I am. So I'm down to about twenty tunes, including one, Diamonds Are A Girl's Best Friend, from a Herb Alpert album, that's got these lines:

You bought me some flowers
But flowers, they die
You bought me some chocolate
It melted - Nice try!

For some reason, I really like that!
========
Update:
I did a search for 'music to exercise by'. Much, almost all, of it is hard rock and rap, neither of which pleases me. But I came across this, here:

(I)s there a perfect workout track, a song that transcends exercise forms and personal preferences? One comes up repeatedly: "Gonna Fly Now," the theme from "Rocky." In a forthcoming book on music and sport that he contributed to, Karageorghis writes that the song "evokes a state of optimism and excitement in the listener," and Goldberg said it helped her get through her first marathon. The band from Bishop Loughlin Memorial High School in Brooklyn has set up along the New York City Marathon route and performed the "Rocky" theme for runners each race day for the last 30 years.

...and I think don't I have that somewhere? Oh, yeah...on a record. A vinyl record. Hmm....

1 comment:

STAG said...

Me, it was "Aerosmith". Mostly any song by them actually. Can't stand them unless I am working out.