Sunday, September 19, 2010

Swarm Me

Sometimes, what can be technology can be exhilarating, even as, in the back of my mind, I think what could an evil person do with this?

Such is SMAVNET - Swarming Micro Air Vehicle Network, developed by École Polytechnique Fédérale de Lausanne. Basically, it's a way to use robotically controlled drone aircraft to act in concert - talking both to each other and to a ground controller. If this makes you think of the Boids swarming software, only brought to reality -- yeah, me too.

I'm sure someone will find a use for it that is, to my mind, evil. But at the moment, I rather like it.

2 comments:

STAG said...

Sounds like a good way to disperse mind altering chemicals into the population...better than using chemtrails.

Or maybe not.

Cerulean Bill said...

Oh, yeah. I'm waiting for the first use of robotically controlled mini-UAVs by those folks. No kidding.