Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Agenda

This morning, I read this on a nicely laid-out site:

The Agenda Project’s goal is to build a powerful, intelligent, well-connected political movement capable of identifying and advancing rational, effective ideas in the public debate and in so doing ensure our country’s enduring success.


...and I thought Are these guys for real, or is it code for fringe loonies who really mean 'shove the nation to their side'?

How can you tell? When did thoughful become suspect?

2 comments:

Tabor said...

The key here is 'rational' and 'effective.' Until you know what the actual ideas are you cannot evaluate against those standards...which are, of course, subjective.

Cerulean Bill said...

That's true, but what I was getting at was that lately I find that I suspect anyone who says they have a method to involve everyone in a community of thought. I just don't see it happening, either in practice or theory. Once you get past a very few people, it seems like we can't agree on what ought to be done, let alone how. We're unwilling to lose any of the details of Our Grand Ideas just for the sake of community. So when someone says that they can do it, I suspect their honesty or their rationality.