Sunday, April 04, 2010

Thoughts

I just looked at a picture of The Muppets and told my wife that it was scary; years after last seeing them, I knew eleven of the fourteen. She said, referring to the old joke, And who's on the Supreme Court? Well, Stevens I knew, because I was grousing about his planned retirement. The liberals retire; the conservatives stay there for eighty years. Okay, not really, but it feels that way. I said well, Roberts, of course. And Ruth Ginsburg. And Scalia, who actively scares me. And...um... Not Bork, right... Is Clarence Day still there? We were both amazed that neither of us remembered Sotomayor. Or...um...

I do think that there ought to be term limits for being on that court, incidentally. Twenty years sounds about right.

At church they had singing, which I am not a fan of. That's not entirely true. Sometimes, it's nice, and sometimes, when the choir is there and the song's cheerful, it can actually be pretty good. Today....nah. In fact, at one point, when the cantor had sort of run out of air, demonstrating what one chorus should sound like, the priest looked out at the congregation and said I wouldn't sign a recording contract any time soon. The church was seriously packed -- probably about 90 % of capacity. Normally, it's about 60%. I also noticed that they had wine again, but that the wine budget seemed to have been cut -- it was pretty thin stuff. I don't expect to be able to stand there savoring the bouquet, but I could barely swallow this stuff. Next time, I'm bringing a hip flask.

I wasn't able to get the Washington Post today. They normally deliver to the supermarket (and some other places), but on Easter, the local supermarkets are closed. I've never understood that, at all. The Jews, the Muslims, they don't want to read this stuff too? Not to mention, milk, bread? I went to a place that sometimes has it, but, nope. So I got the New York Times, which I assume must be printed somewhere relatively close; heck, New York is four hours north, and Washington is two hours south, but the first one gets here and the second doesn't? The Times Magazine has an interview with Charles Colson. What a grouch. No surprise that he mostly liked Bush and thinks Obama an ideologue. I would bet he calls himself a 'fierce Christian'. And I got the local paper, which isn't quite as bad as I always say it is. My wife says that when she retires, she's going to subscribe to it. I shudder at the thought. Especially when it occurs to me that in my declining years, I may find their crossword puzzle difficult.

And a pleasant Easter to you!

4 comments:

Tabor said...

Happy Belated Easter...Bill.

Cerulean Bill said...

At first I read that as 'Happy Belted Easter', and thought what???

Unknown said...

Off the top of my head... Roberts, Kennedy, Scalia, Sotomeyer, Ginsburg, Stevens, Thomas.

A quick check...

I missed Breyer, and oh, how could I have forgotten Alito? He's another really scary justice. I see I misspelled "Sotomayor". Oops.

I still think Sandra Day O'Connor made a grievous mistake quitting as she did. I didn't always agree with her decisions (she was the deciding vote that got Georgie Boy elected by judicial fiat), but most of the time she was a voice of reason.

Cerulean Bill said...

I'm just waiting for Scalia to get caught in one of those clubs that the LA GOP seems to like....