Thursday, April 01, 2010

Hardy

...de-har-har. It's April First, so it's time for the fabulously inventive Google Prank. Oh, my. They've announced that they're changing their name to Topeka. How witty.

I'm sure that if I were in a better mood, I'd see the festive humour, the subtle interplay of word and substance, but as it is, I'm not, and I don't. Multiple things, none of them overwhelming, but collectively..... yes, just a little. Even the birdsong's just a little irritating, at the moment. We'll get through them; we always do. I won't list them here: what's the point?

I'm reading a collection of fantasy stories. My mento was reading the second collection, and I thought It's been a while since I've read science fiction; lets give this a try. Not bad. Science fiction and fantasy sometimes overlap, mostly not. It's a little hard for me to get into some of it; several years ago, my wife received an email that laid out the basic progression of most fantasy, starting with a young man, noble and pure, and a mysterious older man, apparently just the village cobbler or the dark old man of the forest, but with a hidden past. There was a treasure, or a mystery, all of which resolved into a Quest. Others came to help, or kibbitz, or delay. There were secret signs, and the old man could interpret them, but not necessarily pass the information on - It is not yet time for you to learn these hidden sigils, young one. I was surprised to see how much fantasy did sound like that.

Today I have to mail a package, do the shopping, mow the lawn, and do some vacuuming. Nothing particularly strenuous. So why do I feel like taking a nap?

No comments: