Friday, April 02, 2010

Confidence

I've said many times that I like strong, confident women, so one might expect that when I came across a site dedicated to getting women off the fence and onto doing things to increase their confidence and their achievement, I'd like it. And I do.

Right up to the point where it says "And please don’t forget, if you’re TEAM EDWARD, Robert Pattinson from The Twilight Saga is on The View tomorrow. Yowzer!!!

Right there, they lost me. Because I just can't bring myself to believe that a woman who is on Team Edward - or Team Jacob or Team whomever - is all that confident or capable. It says to me that she's still got the attitudes of a kid. Which can be good, but is wildly incongruous with the concept of pushing confidence and achievement. Team Me, I'd believe. Team Twilight? No way.

Is that fair?

5 comments:

genderist said...

Is it fair to be excited about TEAM EDWARD? No, that's way over the top... But I'd argue that it's totally fair to be into a fictional series and have favorite characters in that series. Liking fiction and having preference doesn't make a woman less strong or less confidant.

However, if she goes to the midnight showing and dresses up in character -- that's the lady who has problems.

Cerulean Bill said...

I think it was the dichotomy that got to me -- on the one hand, the image of polished, poised, professional competence; on the other, the OMG Edward factor.

Then again, I'm not a person of deep enthusiasms.

Unknown said...

Hmm... Going to the midnight showing, dressed as a character..?

It was such a shame when that theater - oh, which one was it! - closed. They showed the Rocky Horror Picture Show and it was supposedly a wondrous, or very surreal, experience. I was in Sheffield, Yorks, at the time. Sheffield did not have a Rocky Horror experience. The closest we got was a poster that said "drag yourself along"; I didn't, because I couldn't remember where the event was, and I didn't write it down. Dammit! (History might have been changed. But it likely wouldn't have been...)

That show was still going when I moved to NYC, but I never managed to get there. (Cowardice, basically.)

I did have a party where everyone had to dress as a character from the Rocky Horror movie. I went as Katherine Hepburn... Well, a really poor imitation. We had a grand old time. The cops even attended for a bit! I still smile at my conversation with a policewoman about the noise. I was wearing a definitely "Dr Frankenfurter" outfit... A bridal frock. (I'd changed.) Those attending the party were out back, trying to get rid of the various illegal substances they'd brought and enjoyed. Or passed out on my carpet.

But I digress. :-)

Unknown said...

Oh, I forgot to mention the theater was in Manhattan. A quick Google turned up nothing.

Cerulean Bill said...

You know, I think I'd be really uncomfortable in a party like that, but I must admit, it sounds fascinating. Then again, my idea of a wild party is...um..not.