Monday, January 31, 2005

The Unbearable Swiftness of Being

Sometimes at the end of the day, I think: what the hell did I do today?

Usually, its not a philosophical question -- we use time sheets at my company, and while they're never 100% accurate, I try to make them conform at least generally to what I actually did do that day. I sometimes think that I should resort to an artifice -- like, noting every fifteen minutes what I'm doing -- but there are two problems with that. One, its likely that I would note that its time for an entry and realize its been 45 minutes since the last one, and where has the time gone? And the other, that there are no time entry categories for 'staring into space'. Unless you code it as 'meetings', which is roughly the same thing.

This past weekend was a good example. I can only remember two things -- going to the grocery store and spending a huge amount of money, and starting taxes on Sunday afternoon. We use TurboTax on the web, and while its not painless, they do a pretty good job of hints and prompts. Oh, wait, and I shuttled my daughter to a friend's house, and then all of them back to our house. And I bought something at Home Depot, and picked up bedding for the guinea pig. And something at Staples. And I baked chocolate chip cookies.

Thats two days, isn't it?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's more like three around here. Now what to say about a post that makes me smile? I love to read posts about "ordinary" days written about by extraordinary people who see them with humor and insight. It makes me look at my days differently. This was so right on the nose, and so funny. Glad I found your blog. Cate

Cerulean Bill said...

Why, thank you. I certainly don't think of myself as an insightful person -- more like a curmudgeon in training -- but I am pleased that you think so.