Thursday, January 27, 2005

Nipping NPR

Sometimes I understand why people don't like NPR.

Usually I like them quite a lot, when they do detailed pieces about things that interest me, or when the local NPR plays classical music. Actually, the NPR in Philadelphia -- they've got a better selection than the local folks.

But sometimes I don't like them at all. As yesterday, when they did a piece about the Marine helicopter that crashed in Iraq, and went on at some length about how old these helicopters were, how difficult to maintain, how comparatively fragile.

As they moved from reporting the news to interpreting it, I thought: And if the Marines had bought new helicopters, and used them, would I now be listening to an article about the waste inherent in military procurement when you have these perfectly suitable, if aging, helicopters available for use?

Sigh.

No comments: