Thursday, January 13, 2005

Product 19

About two years ago, when I started this blog, I mentioned a book, '19', which I had greatly enjoyed. This past week, I was delighted to receive an email from the author's wife, mentioning that she had seen the writeup and wanted me to know that the author, Roger Hall, was, at 85, still alert, active, and visiting book shows. I asked if he would mind autographing my copy of 19 -- and he graciously agreed. It's going off in the mail to him this weekend.

Before sending it, off, though, I spent a little bit of time last night leafing through it again, picking out some of the scenes and phrases that I had really enjoyed. The author has an eye for detail, and obviously enjoys well-turned phrases, scattering them throughout with grace and style. The chief character is thoughtful, wry, and funny; his chief is an alert, incisive veteran of OSS who resides in an elegant manor (and manner); his companions are smart and interesting people who you'd like to know. Even the bad guy is nicely sculpted.

Are there downsides? A couple. The book, set in the sixties, can be dated at times: people avoid eavesdropping by turning away from the window, or sitting in the corner; the agent admiringly refers to his boss's new suit as 'a wild set of threads'; the main antagonist disguises himself in Ashanti costume and wears a piece of bone to offset his Afro; the lissome girl secretary wears micro-minis to work. Mere details that don't detract from the delightful romp.

19 is an elegant treat, and a lot of fun.

No comments: