Monday, December 12, 2005

Grim Tidings

At the moment, we have Haydn piano concertos on the CD player. This is good. This morning, I can use some tranquility.

Last night, I read a popular account of what avian flu is about, the likelihood of mutation to human-infectable status, and the worst case death rate, if so. It scared the bejabbers out of me.

This morning, I read an article from the Sunday paper about a chamber music quartet who, splitting up, may end up losing everything they own, including their homes and their instruments. The article was so distressing that I could not read more than four or five paragraphs.

The waffle's didn't turn out well today. Neither did the coffee.

Even the knowledge that I am now vested in my company's retirement plan (five years - imagine!) -- or that its possible that the people with whom I work might hire me to do some work that I want to do -- could not cheer me.

I need some quiet, and solitude, and serenity.

No comments: