Thursday, December 29, 2005

Block this Mail

I just installed a trial copy of SpamAssassin on this laptop, on which I use the Mozilla email client, and so far I'm not all that impressed. I had expected to be blown away by it, as I've heard great things about its effectiveness.

Right out of the box SA told me that it could be integrated with a third party virus scanner if I wanted; however, when I told it to do that, it couldn't find the Norton AntiVirus driver. Call me snarky, I don't think I should have to tell it where the scanner is. (Didn't help that apparently I don't actually know; I picked three executables from the NAV subdirectory, and the scanner in the SA didn't like any of them).

Then, when I started SA, it found the original installation of Outlook Express, but not the Mozilla agent, and when I did what it said to do in order for SA to work with it, not only didn't it work, but Mozilla's email wouldn't start. I suppose thats one way to keep things safe!

But clearly something more is needed. Comcast seems to be catching less and less of these things (not entirely their fault; some are quite slick). And for the first time, I'm getting a couple a day to my primary, personal email box. Which is not at all acceptable.

So we'll see.

No comments: