Tuesday, November 29, 2005

Pizza and Thunder and Sweet Jazz, Oh My !

The pizza is from Dominos, which has got a winner with their Cinnastix, aka Cinnamon Bread Sticks. We've been eating more pizza lately as both of us have been working longer hours. Domino's isn't exactly on the way, but its close. I imagine that the people who work there get used to the aroma pretty quickly, but as for me, I always enjoy that first whiff when I go into their store. It helps that they recently moved from a cramped location next to the railroad track to a freshly remodeled, brightly lit store (now, if they’d just park their cars someplace other than right outside the store), whereas their major competitor, Pizza Hut, is working from a beat up store front that looks like its been flour-bombed.

The thunder is thanks to some kind of weather front moving slowly through the area. They’re actually broadcasting a tornado alert, which I always used to ignore until one ripped up the blue spruce in the back of the house. No damage to speak of except to my checkbook; ouch, that hurt! The rain’s coming in fits and starts; drizzling on occasion, then lashing against the windows.

Good night to be listening to some sweet, quiet jazz - Hank Jones ‘For My Father’. I’m not that much of a jazz fan, but when its like this, its easy to enjoy – quiet, peaceful, but with purpose.

I’ve been reading a couple of books at once, and gazing at the third which hasn’t even been opened except for glancing at it in the library. The one that I’m reading in the dining room is Bread Alone, by Judith Ryan Hendricks; it predates The Baker’s Apprentice, which I picked up thinking was a baking book, but which is actually a novel, like the predecessor. I like both of them but, to my surprise, I like the second better. So I guess that the old saw about sequels is true, even if the sequel, as in this case, is actually the first. She’s gone a nice, easy writing style. I suppose the books could be characterized as chick books, but I like them. And there’s some bread recipes along with the plot, which helps.

The bedroom book is the Intuition one. I’m enjoying it, still, though I do find that I have to skip every so often. My brain is shutting down when I’m in there, so its harder for me to grasp some concepts. Which is a good reason not to be reading the third book, which is the updated version of Hawkings “A Brief History of Time”. No matter that it is simpler and more straightforward than the original, its still tough stuff.

Wow – the rain is gurgling down, and the thunder overhead just shook the house. I don’t think I’ll lose power – I’m writing this on the laptop – but maybe its time to close.

No comments: