Saturday, November 05, 2005

Fun at Work

The other day I told the guy that I work for -- one of them, thank you, matrix management -- that I was enjoying something that I was doing, and would, in fact, do it for free. He said that he was glad I was having fun, though I imagine he thought I was a little strange for mentioning it. He knew why I said it, though -- it was technical work, which I don't often get to do.

What I'm doing is getting my organization up to speed quickly on a new series of software to be installed on multiple platforms. Most of the platforms are the same; not all. And it will all take a fair amount of customization as well as some tuning. I want to make people think that its worth having me do this so that they will be willing to pay a significant part of my salary to do it, and hence, so I can leave the job I have now, which frequently enough, sucks.

Doesn't hurt that I'm having fun, though.

No comments: