Friday, November 25, 2005

Desks

The desk for the offspring arrived today. My, oh, my. It turns out that when you evaluate a desk while standing a large showroom, you get a diminished sense of the size of the desk. And when all of the desks of that type are compared to it, and they're all about that same size, then that reinforces the sense of 'oh, this is the size they are'.

But when it arrives in the house...and is placed in the space where the old kid-size desk was (suitably enlarged by the removal of a stack of boxes), and it still overwhelms the room... well.

Its important to me that my daughter trust me to keep my word, so when we were obviously dismayed by it, she asked if we wanted to switch it with the (smaller) one that we use. No, no, I said, this is the desk we promised you, use it in good health. But I kept thinking about it. And finally I screwed up my courage and went and said 'How would you feel about swapping desks, after all?' She looked up from the television and said 'Sure, I'm fine with that.'

What a great kid.

No comments: