Sunday, March 27, 2005

TS

My daughter asked what I knew about the Terry Schiavo case, and what I thought should be done.

I explained to her what I know about it, what relevant terms such as 'Persistant Vegetative State' mean, and how it can be difficult to determine if one exists. I told her that a person without legs is still alive...and if you assumed that everything south of the neck was gone -- I drew comparisons between her condition and that of Christopher Reeve, after his accident -- the person could still be alive. Then I told her how you evaluate whether a brain is functional (what I know of the subject). After all of that, I told her what my assumptions and beliefs are, and, based on those assumptions and beliefs, what I think should be done. She nodded and started to walk away. I asked her if that was really more than she wanted to know, and she nodded again. "A bit more", she said.

Got to remember, she's still a kid.

1 comment:

Nan said...

This case has been on my mind a lot. I was chewed up and spit out at another site when I voiced my opinion. I'm glad your daughter is asking what you think. Cate