Monday, March 21, 2005

The Existential Pleasures of Blogging

I've seen a couple of articles lately about blogging that seem to touch both ends of the spectrum about why people do it.

One article said that blogging is a form of social popularity contest wherein the hot interesting blogs gather advocates and adherents, and the dull ones wither and die. Sort of a genetic algorithm or an evolutionary thing. I think that article actually used the phrase 'Nobody goes to them', which reminds me of the (apocryphal?) story about Yogi Berra and restaurants. I have visions of some blogs with bright lights, throbbing music, and people lined up at the door --'No, man, I'm on the list! Here, let me see that th-- hey, man, let go of me!' -- and others where a single person is sitting in a darkened room, quietly reading the Daily Summary of Grain Digests.

The other said that people just do it to do it, and that most people don't particularly want to be well known -- 'don't want to be instapundit', is how I think they put it. Thats where I fall. Its nice when people respond, and even better when there's a little dialogue as a result, but if nobody does, its not a big deal. There's something nice about just writing.

So if I don't use some of the nifty tools, like the BlogMe linker, or the site meter that tells me how many people came today, and how long they stayed...well, thats just me. I'm not a competive guy. And sometimes, I like it simple.

Now, where did I put that Grain Digests Summary?

No comments: