Sunday, March 06, 2005

Chocolate Cake

Several weeks ago, I installed Yahoo Messenger on all of the PCs we have -- this new one, the desktop, and our two work laptops -- so that for the first time since we started working at different places, my partner and I can send each other instant messages -- usually of the 'do you want me to cook tonight' or 'I'm going to be late, can you pick up the offspring at day care' genre. One of the recurring notes has been me saying 'Thanks for making lunch for me...but, you know, I didn't find any chocolate cake in there'.

It comes from a joke I heard years ago about the young guy who starts off for his first job working as an assistant at a house builder. His wife kisses him goodbye, hands him a brown paper lunch bag, and he's off. When the time comes, he retrieves it from the common storage locker, and is delighted to find a thick roast beef sandwich, a stash of cookies, an apple, and a big slice of chocolate cake. He's just about to have at the cake when he hears one of the other workers bellow HEY! Who stole my lunch and left me this lousy PB&J sandwich?

When I send that, the response is usually a reminder that its been a while since I've baked, and if I bake it, she'll see that it gets into my lunch. Well, this weekend, my partner decided to give this a try. She took the recipe I use, eyed it, and in just a short while, we had a chocolate sheet cake, iced and cooling on the counter. My daughter is delighted, and we've promised her first slice.

I might even have some.

No comments: