Sunday, March 06, 2005

Cleaning Out Files


I have a folder titled Interesting Articles, where I throw things that catch my interest. Every so often, when I see the folder, I think "I really should toss that thing", because I don't look at it that often, and so I start to go through it....and I keep it. Most of it.

Here's some of it:


A Wall Street Journal article about retired workers: Older Workers in the Lurch

A Washington Magazine article: Another Rich Doctor...or Just A Hard Working Doctor?

A cutout of Alfred E. Neuman's grinning face

A photocopy of a Dilbert strip about the nature of time

A photocopy of a Calvin and Hobbes strip about men, women, and Einstein's Theory of Relativity

A photocopy of a Harris cartoon, wherein the bartender is saying" Its not worth worrying about. There's nothing you can do about it. No two quarks in a small region can occupy the same quantum-mechanical state."

A clipped Harris cartoon of two scientists looking at a board full of formulae. One points to the phrase "Then a miracle occurs" and says "I think you should be more explicit here in step two."

A Mission: Impossible cartoon that's hard to describe.

A cartoon of a guy arguing office sexual mores with a woman, who gets the last dig.

A drawing from the Atlantic Monthly of a bridge with the center span missing. The road sign says "Minimum Speed 95 MPH"

An article from Mensa magazine on the subjective nature of time when you're half awake.

An article from Time on Italian lotharios: The Giovanni Smile. On the same page, an article about the first women to go to West Point: Beauties and the Beast.

An article on a sailing academy for women only.

A picture of a Dallas Cowboy cheerleader who's not entirely covered.

A cartoon of a glum man holding a sign: Will Work For Medical Insurance

A cartoon of several doctors looking down at a fellow in a hospital bed: "We're willing to cut a deal. Drop the malpractice suit and we'll re-connect your respirator."

An article from the Washington Post: Driving Us Crazy: Anatomy of a Traffic Jam.


I forgot I even had some of that stuff. Guess I'll keep it.

3 comments:

Nan said...

"Then a miracle occurs." Priceless.

Cerulean Bill said...

Here's one place where the original can be seen -- http://www.spsnational.org/images/miracle.jpg

Harris has done dozens, probably hundreds, ofgentle yet perceptive cartoons poking fun at Big Science and its allies. I recall another where two serious men are walking out of a building clearly marked as a nuclear reactor facility; one is saying something like '...and the great part is, if an explosion does occur, it would be directly against all applicable NRC regulations!'

Angie said...

I had a sweatshirt I wore all the time in middle school with the "miracle occurs" cartoon on it. /grin/