Saturday, February 05, 2005

Seeking Islamic Information

I received a comment the other day which gave me pause.

A person said that he had posted an innocuous comment on the IslamiCity site, and as result received some fairly harsh responses - along the lines of "you'd better hope we don't find you". My first reaction to that was "Well, sure, what do you expect from those people." But then I wondered: Is that fair? (And my mind whispered: Are they?) Like a lot of Americans, I suspect, my view of Islam is pretty narrow, and its not at all impossible that its pretty far off base. So I decided to go check out the site myself.

It's pretty well done -- well laid out, with the clearly stated intention of propagating information about Islam, and to encourage members in the application of their faith across all spectra of their lives. It wasn't speaking to me, but I could see it being a strong force in the lives of people who believe as they do.

That being my perception, I didn't understand how an innocuous comment could spawn such a response. I wondered if the person(s) who had responded weren't Islamic at all, but rather agents provocateurs, making the kind of responses that Americans might expect -- responses that would trigger the reaction that I had. Or perhaps they are Islamic, but on the fringe -- the fiery-eyed radicals that many religions have (though this one more than others, my mind whispered). Or even: perhaps they are Islamic, and they represent the true face of Islam, the one that will not be satisfied until it achieves dominance in the world and subjugation of all other forms of religion.

This was more than a little disquieting, and what was worse, I had no way -- and have no way -- to get a sense of which is right, or which is closest to being right. All I know of Islam is what I see in the papers, as they say, and what I see in the papers is usually pretty bad. You cannot judge a religion by everyone who says they are acting in its name, but if everyone you see acting in one way says it, you begin to wonder if it might actually be true. How would you know?

I wish I had an answer, or even a hint of one. One answer seems to be reading, but even there: reading what? Reading the Koran (and there: not in the original? Then surely you are getting interpretations, not the actual original) might be an answer, but perhaps modern Islamic believers don't want to be held to each sura (is that right? I think so) any more than a modern Christian wants to be held to each verse of the Bible. Though perhaps there are intent Islamic who feel that you damn well should be held to each, just as there are intent Christians who feel the same. Or perhaps I should read one of those many books that purposes to explain Islam to Christians -- but what's their slant? Are they proselytizing or apologizing? Or just making a buck?

Or I could go to the local mosque -- I actually know where there is one, near my home -- but would that be like the well meaning liberals going to a black church in the sixties? (Oh, no, here comes another Christian seeking truth and friendship, the mullahs would mutter.)

So where do you even start?

3 comments:

Cerulean Bill said...

I think you've got something there. It is a rational approach to a perplexing and snarled predicament.

Angie said...

I took a class on Women and Islam in college--pre 9/11 FYI--and learned quite a bit about Islam in the process. Not hard since I didn't know anything about it to start, but that is another topic. One interesting bit of trivia: unlike the Christian Bible, which is "official" no matter what language it is translated into, the Koran is only "official" in its original language and is only rarely translated at all.

I personally believe that, like Christianity, the majority of Muslims quietly go about their daily lives following their faith as they believe it, without any desire to overcome every other religion or to start a "jihad". Unfortunately extreme Islamic groups have taken political power in many places and have become the main focus of most news broadcasts here.

I think that you are onto something by visiting a mosque. Perhaps actually attending their services wouldn't be appropriate, but wouldn't it be neat if they offered a few "intro to Islam" classes or collaborated with nearby churches and synagogues to show the similarities (quite a few) between the religions or just to educate about their different faiths?

Cerulean Bill said...

Not sure if I'll have the guts to do it, but if I do, I'll try to write about it. I saw in the paper where people from the local mosque were among those going to Washington to vote in the Iraqi election, and I thought *our* Muslims? These are just some local folks, but they have something in common with that place? Holy wow....