Saturday, February 05, 2005

Saturday, Saturday

Doesn't have quite the ring of Monday, Monday, does it?

I found out this morning something I already knew, and that my wife has known for years, possibly at the genetic level. Food helps. I got up this morning because a) I couldn't really sleep, and b) because I had a system upgrade to check out, and c) because my daughter had done her normal 'bound out of bed because its a weekend' routine. So I grudgingly, and a little grumpily, staggered out of bed -- but once I was up, and had breakfast, I felt a lot better, about me and about life. It didn't hurt that we had some Ghiradelli coffee, arrived yesterday from First Colony Coffee, with the breakfast. ,,Sausage, waffles, chocolate-orange coffee. Life is good.

I just reread an article from last Sunday's Washington Post on seniors (wince) and the internet, the gist of which is, they're a lot more capable of using it than you might think, and they're a lot less likely to use it than they could be, simply because they're not that adventurous and no one has taken the time to show them how to get started, how to be wary on the net, or what they can do with it. The article is a great read, and as an extra bonus. theres a photo composite of Irene Ryan as Granny Clampett (The Beverly Hillbillies), with a set of headsets, ,a Mac laptop, and a big grin.

Found a recipe for apple fritters that I'll have to try. We used to buy frozen apple fritters from the local Giant supermarket, but following their normal practice ('Find out what they like, and either stop carrying it, or move it so that they can't find it'), we haven't had any for a while. This should be fun.

It appears to me that the furor over SocSec is starting to die down. I suppose that could be simply that people are moving to newer, fresher outrages, or that they're coming to the conclusion that they can't do anything about it, but what I hope is happening is that people are starting to think about the possibilities inherent in the privatization concept. Initially, I was opposed to it (learning at the same time that 'older workers' would not have their Social Security touched, and that I was one of those workers, was a decidedly mixed blessing), but as I mull it over, I'm not as opposed as I had been.

Part of that is because I am fortunate. Our savings and our modest investments have done well; even were they to do as badly as the market did a few years ago, we'd still be okay. Nervous, but okay. I know thats not the case for a lot of people, and for them, the program should remain as it was. But if you're willing to accept the risk -- I think its a decent idea.

So far, anyway.

And now, to get ready for my daughter's sleepover day. Ain't none of us getting enough sleep, this weekend !

No comments: