Tuesday, November 27, 2007

Reading Apple

Last night, I was grumbling about how, every so often, I have to persuade the laptop to start. Apparently, theres some kind of fault in the power supply food chain -- from what I read, Dell Inspiron 600Ms are known for this -- which translates out to refusing to start on occasion. For a while, I would remove the battery (the little one that comes with the system, leaving the big battery in place), and then it would start; sometimes I had to have it plugged in, sometimes not. Then I read some articles that suggested the power connector was flexing in some way, and that grabbing the laptop back by the power lights would let it start -- and, amazingly, that seemed to be the case. Now I'm back to twiddle, twist, unsnap battery, what the heck will work this time....and so, of course, I'm thinking 'well, maybe we will replace this, after all. And I'm thinking about replacing it with a Mac, because, of course, Macs never break. Feel free not to disillusion me in this regard.

So I'm reading this on the Apple web site about the MacBook:

The most advanced and affordable Mac notebook ever gives you a blazingly fast mobile architecture in a beautiful design that costs less than slower, clunkier models. It’s like getting a sports car for the price of a scooter. Talk about performance — MacBook is powered by an Intel Core 2 Duo processor with speeds revving up to 2.2GHz. And all models pack a performance-enhancing 4MB of shared L2 cache.

...and I'm thinking Wow, look at the buzzwords! Most Advanced! Affordable! Blazingly Fast! Revving! Performance-Enhancing! L2 Cache! All this for an architecture that in a couple of years, if I'm lucky, will be regarded as Sadly Outdated! Cheap, But Look How Slow It Is! And How Slow That Cache Is!

I wonder if I should look at Thinkpads....I kind of liked the last one I had...and it runs Windows.

No comments: