Saturday, June 02, 2012

Zapped

I just bought a pair of shoes from Zappos.  I've never bought anything from them before, but I have heard some very nice things about the company, along the lines of the nice things I hear about Amazon. So we'll see.  I like their quirky sense of humor. The 'customer registration' email says that I should save it, because it might save my life some day.  Probably not, it goes on to say, but it might.  Nice.  I like that.

I was looking around at some of the other things they sell, and found myself gazing at the men's underwear.  I wonder sometimes why men's underwear tends to be bland (except for the stuff that's aimed at the fabulously fit mid-twenties range).  It's just dull.  I never quite understand guys who wear women's clothing -- there are times that I wonder why we're so hung up on that distinction, but I know we are, and, truthfully, so am I -- but there are times when I look at how stylish and visually interesting women's clothing can be, and I can almost understand it.  For most people who sell guys clothes, underwear is either white or emblazoned with something like Home of the Whopper.  Or occasionally the Batman logo, to show that you're still wild and crazy even though, of course, you're not. I think it should be better than that.  I've heard it said that women feel better when they're wearing something sleek and sexy, even if no one can see it, and I wonder: could that be true for guys, too?

But for now, I'll just get the shoes from Zappos. Actually, sandals.  I think it's the second pair I've had in 60 years.  Don't want to rush into this!

No comments: