Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Words That Work

I've been reading this book, and I have to say that while part of it is interesting, part of it leaves a bad taste in my mouth. 

The author says, multiple times, that all he does is encourage people to use clear, straightforward language, and to select words that either do or do not carry baggage (depending on whether it's baggage you want), and that is a lot of what he does, but not all of it. There's something slimy about his techniques.  It's analogous to when people say if you don't have anything to hide, you shouldn't object to being searched, as if the right to privacy means nothing.  They just slither right past it, acting as if your desire to keep your privacy is proof that you're hiding something.  This guy twists words with a wide-eyed innocent who, me? I'm just helping people communicate better attitude. That is what he's doing, but he's doing it in a slithery way.

There's useful information in the book, but I find that I'm skimming it a lot.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I remember that book. I didn't like it, either.

Euphemisms are quite popular, these days. They abound - and I think what he was saying (I'm trying to remember my perusal of it) is that it's better to use a euphemism, and then claim that you're telling it as it is than actually tell it as it is.

Small wonder you're not liking it! :-)

Anonymous said...

I didn't read that book. Will take your work for it. However I have just this morning finished a book, a fiction by James Patterson. The first James Patterson I've read. I normally don't read fiction but this one grabbed me. Women might be more attracted to it but I enjoyed it. I recommend it to anyone who reads fiction or wants to escape into another world for a few hours. 1ST To Die (A Women's Murder Club Novel).

Cerulean Bill said...

He could well have said that in one of the sections I skipped, though I suspect that he wouldn't admit to the euphemism. He'd say that he was simply using the language of the people.

And yes, I agree about Patterson. He spins a good story. Great summer reading, any time of the year.