Monday, June 04, 2012

Reacting

Every so often, I do something dumb as a parent.

Last night, while I was trying to get her laptop to work, my daughter took the opportunity to write CLEAN ME in the dust on the picture of her mother that I've kept on the bureau since we were married. It irritated me.

Walking up the hall, I thought "Don't do this."
Seeing her grin when I said Someone wrote  Clean Me, I thought "Don't do this."
I did it anyway.  Said Don't do that. And saw the light die in her eyes.

She'll get over it.  I'll get over it.

But still....

3 comments:

Tabor said...

You should not have been so upset. It is none of my business, but I have to write that it was an idle action on her part and not an indictment of you, your cleanliness or your relationship with your spouse.

Anonymous said...

Sometimes we do... do the dumbest things and only afterwards realize it.

'Oh, to be perfect' will never be achieved, but we will always be parents and we can always try to do better.

Cerulean Bill said...

I know. I just hate it when I do that. The kid is precious to me.