Sunday, November 20, 2011

Historic


It’s not often these days that I do a cartoon without color, but I felt this one called for the starkness of the black and white inks. I actually wanted the ink to come out heavier and even more distinct, but I think the details on the Statue of Liberty’s pedestal made that difficult.

This cartoon refers to the sudden and brutal crackdowns on Occupy Wall Street demonstrators, which began in the dead of night last week in cities across the nation, and I’ve read were coordinated by the Department of Homeland Security. These attacks on free speech have involved inexcusable offenses like one that occurred near me, in Seattle, where an 84-year-old woman and a pregnant teenager were among the victims of pepper-spraying by police. I ask, what threat could an 84-year-old possibly pose to armored riot cops?? Unless she were wielding, say, a flamethrower. Perhaps next time she’ll think twice before protesting wealth inequality without carrying one!

From This is Historic Times, including the commentary.

2 comments:

STAG said...

And much the same thing is going on here in Canada. No homeland security blanket here though. Just fascism at its finest.

Cerulean Bill said...

I'm sure that the terrorists are shaking in their sandals.