Monday, November 07, 2011

Heart Failure

I was in the middle of editting a post when I got an error saying that the editor had failed, and I should recycle my session. So I saved it off line, refreshed the page -- and got, in succession, an error that the editor didn't work, then a 404 for the blog address, then a 'this account has been deleted', then a 'this account has been blocked.

After staring in blank astonishment, and sending them a note for help, I noticed that my Google Reader access was still there. Google signon was still there, too, but GMail and Googletalk had both gone away. So I tried 'resetting' my google password -- and it worked. Suddenly, I had access again.

I did not enjoy that. I can only imagine what losing access is like for people who rely on Google to work. Not to mention, how do you tell people Hey, its not me doing this! Please don't go away!!!

So, I created a Tumblr account at http://www.tumblr.com/blog/ceruleanbill. Right now, there's nothing there, but if this one ever goes south, that's where I'll be, at the very least posting what's happening, and probably crying about lost archives. Sounds attractive, right? But I hope you'll come there anyway, should the need arise.

I don't have a lot of followers, but I don't want to lose the ones I have!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well you had one upset. I clicked on your blog and it said your blog had been are removed with no forwarding address. I posted a note on haiku of the Id to see if she had noticed you missing. She's a working girl and has not read the post yet so will remove my post there or explain. I'm glad everything is okay, Bill.

Cerulean Bill said...

Unbelievable. I just tried to post a response, and got this:

We're sorry, but we were unable to complete your request.
The following errors were found:
Input error: Memcache value is null for FormRestorat

Why do I assume that Bloggers got problems?

Anonymous said...

I guess because every once in a while we run into a burger bear of a problem and it's their fault.

Cerulean Bill said...

Big systems have big problems. After reading Fallow's article about being hacked, I am particularly sensitive to the idea that if I have a problem, I get the automated response, while he gets the one-on-one with their tech gurus. Nice to be well known and powerful. Reminds me of the story about the guy who used to run General Electric, who would PERSONALLY handle calls from Henry Kissinger when he had a problem with his GE whatever. His successor at GE got one call, said "I'll do this one, Henry, but never again."

Wonder who Henry called then?

genderist said...

Gag. I don't even want to think about how things would play out if blogger went away.

Unknown said...

Apparently there was a hiccup with Google's ID system. I had endless requests for my gmail is & password - and then it told me it was downloading 10,240 emails. Which is probably 10,235 more than I get in a decade or so.

I haven't seen anything from Google. I don't think anyone actually will...

Cerulean Bill said...

Interesting. I hope that in their abandonment of Don't Be Evil, they did not adopt Don't Be Hypercompetent.